Top 5 ways to use Matcha!
While Matcha is typically consumed like a hot tea, this powerhouse ingredient has a long list of other uses. Not only is Matcha delicious, it also has benefits for focus and concentration, the clarity of your skin and immune system functioning!
- Sydney, 1 September 2016 - By Irene Falcone -
Did you know that Matcha powder has 137x the antioxidant levels of standard Green Tea? Filled to the brim with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, Matcha Green Tea is the perfect pick me up! While Matcha is typically consumed like a hot tea, this powerhouse ingredient has a long list of other uses. Not only is Matcha delicious, it also has benefits for focus and concentration, the clarity of your skin and immune system functioning. It can even aid your metabolism, energy levels and overall wellbeing! You can read more here on the Benefits of Matcha Green Tea. Looking to incorporate more antioxidants into your diet? Here are my top 5 ways to use Matcha!
1. Eat it!
Matcha is such a versatile ingredient that can be added to pretty much anything! You can sprinkle a little into your pancake mixture, cupcakes or brownies. If you're looking for a delicious and guilt free snack however, I recommend trying out this recipe for Matcha Cookie Dough Balls from Zen Green Tea.
2 cups Almond Meal
1/3 cup Dates (soaked)
2 Tbs Coconut Oil
1 Tbs Maple Syrup
1 Tsp Vanilla Powder or extract
1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Zen Green Tea Matcha Powder
1/4 Cup Cacao Nibs or Chocolate Chips
1. Blend together until it resembles crumbs
2. Stir through 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs or chocolate chips and roll into balls
3. Keep refrigerated
2. Drink it cold!
For the Summertime, there's nothing more refreshing than an iced Matcha! I find the best way to prepare it cold is to start by putting your desired amount of Matcha into a glass. Then pour a small amount of hot water on top and stir until smooth! Once thoroughly mixed, you can add ice cubes, cold water and your favourite milk (if you prefer an iced Matcha latte).
3. Drink it hot!
If you'd rather keep it traditional, a hot cup of Matcha Green Tea is always a fantastic choice. You can read more here on on how this is different to regular green tea here. We add a little hot water to ½-1 teaspoon of Matcha, before stirring until dissolved completely. You can even sift through a strainer if you wish! Once the powder is dissolved, add in the remaining hot water.
4. Mix it in a smoothie!
One of the most popular ways to use Matcha is in smoothies and "nice cream", which is ice cream made from bananas! To create Matcha nice cream, I recommend trying out this two ingredient recipe from Zen Green Tea.
2 large (or 3 small) bananas, peeled, cut into chunks, and then frozen in a freezer bag
1 tsp Zen Green Tea matcha powder
1. Place banana chunks into a food processor fitted with the S blade and turn machine on. Let the motor run until the bananas have a super creamy texture, just like soft serve ice cream. It might take a little time and the processor may make loud noises but it will work – don't worry
2. After the bananas become creamy, add Zen Green Tea matcha powder and blend. Serve immediately. Makes 2-3 servings. Leftover can be refrozen and then re-blended for a perfect texture. I love to serve topped with fresh summer berries!
5. Use it in a face mask!
As Matcha is rich in antioxidants and incredibly high levels of EGCG, it's amazing for calming the skin, reducing inflammation and increasing elasticity. One of my favourite ways to unwind is to apply a Matcha face mask. This recipe from Zen Green Tea is great because it only uses two ingredients!
1 Teaspoon Zen Green Tea matcha
1 Tablespoon Greek Yogurt (or alternatively a plain face moisturiser)
1. Mix together thoroughly to form a bright green paste
2. Apply to face and neck and leave for 10 minutes
3. Wash off to reveal brighter, tighter and glowing skin!
"I love the being able to read all the product reviews before I buy and LOVE, LOVE the rewards program."
Over 2.5 million orders despatched