Ep 1: Get Your Veggies to Last 2x Longer & Save $1,500!
Imagine if you could save $1,500 a year on your grocery shop and reduce single-waste plastic in the kitchen too? Turns out you can, and it's all from making one simple change to the way we store our food. In this Nourished Life podcast, find out all about how The Swag bags can change your kitchen for the better.
I have to admit that when I first heard about the concept of The Swag, I did not believe that a cotton bag could actually make my veggies last longer before they go rotten... fast-forward a few years later and I don't know what I'd do without them! What is The Swag, you ask? Well, yes, it's a small tent, but I'm talking about the ones for your veggies...
In this episode of Talking Clean with Irene, I speak to Peita Pini, the creator of The Swag. Peita launched her genius idea of a reusable food storage system in 2016, and since then, it has become popular right around the world. Why? Well, it's because this one, simple food storage solution not only saves us thousands of dollars on our grocery shops every year by minimising fresh food waste but also helps to reduce our use of single-use plastic too. According to Peita, only 9% of the world's plastic is recycled, and for busy families, saving $1,500 a year on the grocery shop can make a world of difference. It's a win-win for us and for the planet too. Listen as Peita and I discuss all things The Swag, including exactly how they work and why we all need these bags in our lives!
In this podcast we talk about...
• How your veggies can last for weeks & get more nutritious over time (2:15)
• Why Peita created the Swag bag (2:38)
• How you can stop fresh food waste in your household (4:30)
• How much food waste costs the Australian economy each year (5:56)
• How to save $1,500 a year on your fruit and vegetable shop (6:21)
• Which fruit and veggies we should always buy organic – the "Toxic 12" list (7:00)
• How to shop seasonally – in summer, berries and watermelon hydrating, winter - sweet potatoes and warming (7:53)
• How the Swag bags work – do we need to separate fruit & veg? (8:26)
• Why we need to move away from disposable food storage (10:47)
• Why having fresh fruit & veg is so important for families (13:37)
• The two simple ways to stop mold – how often to wash your Swags & how to prep your fridge for Swags (14:27)
• Should we be washing our veggies as soon as we get home from the shops?! (16:57)
• What's in the Swag Starter Kit? (19:02)
• How the new Swag Produce Bags, Tea Bags, Bread Bags and Lunch Bags work (20:22)
• Why compostable is the future – plastic-free solutions like the Ethique solid bars, which are biodegradable and come in compostable boxes (27:40)
If you loved this Nourished Life podcast episode, please don't forget to leave me a 5-star review in iTunes or your podcast app – it really helps us reach even more people. Let's make toxin-free living mainstream!